Friday, February 5, 2016

What happened when Pope Francis drove his own car

Some people think I've been a bit hard on Pope Francis lately, to which I say "not without cause". As a reminder to lighten up, once in a while, Agent 71 has sent us a little story about the Holy Father, along with the little prayer that follows, for which much thanks.


After getting all of Pope Francis's luggage loaded into his new (and humble) car, the driver saw the Holy Father still standing in the courtyard. "Excuse me, Your Holiness," said the driver, "Would you please take your seat so we can leave? You mustn't miss your plane!"

"Well, to tell you the truth," said the Pope, "they never let me drive at the Vatican , and I'd really like to drive today."
"I'm sorry, Your Holiness," protested the driver, "but I can't let you do that. What if something should happen? I'd lose my job!"
"Who's going to tell?" replied the Pope, with a smile.

Reluctantly, the driver got in the back as the Pope climbed in behind the wheel. The driver quickly regretted his decision when, after exiting the Vatican, the Pontiff floored it, accelerating the tiny vehicle to its top speed!
"Please slow down, Your Holiness," pleaded the worried driver, but the Pope kept the pedal to the metal until they heard sirens.
"Oh, dear God, I'm going to lose my license," the driver moaned, "and my job!"

The Pope pulled over and rolled down the window as the cop approached, but the cop just glanced at him, then went back to his motorcycle, and got on the radio.
"I need to talk to the Chief," he said to the dispatcher.
The Chief got on the radio and the cop told him that he'd stopped an undersized limo going hearly 200 kilometres an hour.
"So bust him," said the Chief.

"I don't think we want to do that," said the motorcycle cop. "He's really important!"
"All the more reason!", exclaimed his boss.
'No, I mean really important," said the cop with a bit of persistence.

The Chief then asked, "Who do you have there, the mayor?"
Cop: "Bigger."
Chief: "A senator?"
Cop: "Bigger."
Chief: "The President?"
Cop: " Even bigger!"

"Well," said the Chief, "who is it? Who could be bigger than the President?"
Cop: "I think it's God!"
"Oh go on!", replied the Chief, now really puzzled. "What makes you think it's God?"
Cop: "His chauffeur is the Pope!"

Give me a sense of humour, Lord, 
Give me the grace to see a joke, 
To get some humour out of life, 
And pass it on to other folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment