Does the Obama administration admit this? Does the Prez concede that his policy of dialogue and reconciliation with the Muslims is a complete failure? In the middle of an election campaign? Not bloody likely! Walt's opinion is shared, it seems, by Phil Lawler, whose articles are a mainstay of the generally fair and unbiased CatholicCulture website.
Mr. Lawler's topic this week is "The truth about Benghazi, and Obama's dangerous attitude toward Islam". And here's part of what he has to say.
The attack on the US consulate was not an angry reaction to an anti-Muslim film, President Mohamed Magarief told NBC News. If the Islamic radicals had been incensed by scenes from the amateur film, The Innonence of Muslims, they would have reacted 6 months earlier, when those scenes first became available. They chose this date, 11th of September, to carry a certain message,” Magarief said. If only President Barack Obama could be equally candid!
What is particular appalling about the killings in Benghazi is the flat refusal of the Obama administration to tell the truth about the tragedy. For days the administration pretended that the grenade attack on the consulate was the result of a demonstration that got out of control. Eventually the burden of evidence forced the White House to change its story, and acknowledge that the attack had been premeditated. Still even today, in his speech to the UN, President Obama conveyed the impression that the main problem is the understandable outrage of Muslims over a provocative film.
Nonsense! The real problem is Islamic violence. The film is a distraction, a pretext for aggression. By refusing to acknowledge that reality, the Obama administration is playing into the hands of the Islamic radicals.
The disciplined agents of Al Qaida are trying to create the impression that the Islamic world is simmering with barely-suppressed outrage, ready to explode at the slightest sign of provocation from the West. President Obama’s speech to the UN reinforced that impression.
Here's what Walt can't figure out.
- Obama's make-nice-with-Islam foreign policy is a disaster. (Phil Lawler says so. Charles Krauthammer says so. Walt says so.)
- The economy is on life support and Obama has no plan to get it off the critical list.
- The Prez's vaunted health care plan looks like being both unconstitutional and unworkable.
- His administration's attacks on Christian values are the very work of the devil.
- And the silent majority of Americans are sick, sore and tired of having diversity, gay rights, multiculti, eco-correctness and other left-wing nonsense shoved down their throats