Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Suspended" campaigns

First Rick Santorum "suspended" his campaign for the presidensity, so he could devote his time to family health concerns. Money had nothing to do with it, of course, nor did the fact that he was falling deeper and deeper into second place. But OK, let's give him that one.

Today "Hold 'er Newt" Gingrich "suspended" his campaign. That one, Walt will not give him. Maybe my grasp of English is not perfect, but to me, "suspend" equals "put on hold" or "postpone until further notice". Presumably a "suspended" campaign could be revived in the event a certain eventuality is eventuated.

Which leads me to ask: what, exactly, would it take to get Newt to throw his hat back into the ring? A fresh injection of money from his one and only fat cat backer? Or how about a reliable report that hell has frozen over.

Why can't aspiring politicians simply say, "My cause is lost. I quit."

No comments:

Post a Comment