Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dr. Laura learns a lesson in PC

"Some of my best friends are n______", says Dr. Laura

The forces of Goodness and Political Correctness have won again. Dr. Laura Schlessinger's 30-year career in talk radio is ending in December, all because she used the Forbidden Word on the air recently.

Forbidden word? Wat dat? We're talking about a word even worse than the F-word -- everyone uses that now -- and the C-word, used occasionally (even in print) in Britain. We are talking about a word which is so powerful, so offensive, so evil, that it can't be said and can't be printed, even in quotes...unless you're black. Then it's OK.

I refer, of course, to the dreaded "N-word", now referred to obliquely as "a racial slur". Only people of colour can say that, in an affectionate way, about each other. I remember a line near the end of Blazing Saddles in which one character calls the black hero "Yo shifty niggah!"

We should have seen this coming. I also remember dialogue from M*A*S*H (the movie, not the TV show) in which a black football player says to his teammate, "He [a white guy] called me a nigger!"
His buddy says, "Well, you call him one right back!"
"Call him a nigger?!"
"Noooo... say something bad to him."
(I'm quoting from memory. Please don't e-mail me if I don't have it down pat.)

The point is, white folks can't talk about black folks like that. The word has become unspeakable, literally. And the First Amendment be damned. So watch yo mouf, honky!

1 comment:

  1. Gisela Corinne von BoetticherSeptember 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM

    Hello,

    I found your site, while trying to delineate between the hijab and burka.

    Thanks! I think you're funny/honest/insightful. You remind me of an old, brilliant (libertarian) economics professor I once had in the States. He never won any elections, unfortunately. :)

    --Gisela Corrine

    ReplyDelete