Tuesday, May 18, 2010

145

Col. Geoff Parker, RIP


Colonel Geoff Parker today became the highest-ranking Canadian to die in Afghanistan. He was killed, along with five Americans and a number of civilians, when a Taliban suicide bomber did the deed in the middle of a busy street in Kabul, Afghanistan's capital.

As you know, I've been keeping track of the Canadians killed in Afghanistan, having been sent there on what many would call a fool's errand by their government. I salute their obedience and their courage.

I wouldn't want to be told that I was being sent to a hellhole on the other side of the world, with a good chance of coming home in a box. But these brave men and women did what they were told without cavil or question.

And they were not alone. I have been counting the Canadian casualties because I think the Canadians are doing more than their share of the heavy lifting in Afghanistan. But they have been joined in death by hundreds of Americans, Britons, Dutch and others. May they all rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment