Thursday, March 4, 2010

Warning to Windows XP users

Walt is not an early adopter. If I get used to something, it takes me a long time to let go of it and try something new. Thus I am still using Windows XP. It does all I need, I know how to use it reasonably well, and I see no reason to change.

That is not to say that Windows XP is not without its bugs, flaws and faults. Every couple of weeks, it seems, Bill Gates sends me a new patch or service pack which I dutifully install. But just as fast as MS trots out the fixes, hackers and other Bad People seem to find or invent new problems.

From time to time, Yahoo News runs articles by a computer geek named Christopher Null. (I wonder if his partner is Cosmo Void.) The blog is called "The Working Guy". Today Mr. 0 gives us fair warning of a newly-discovered problem with XP.

If you're running Windows XP, be sure to read "Don't press F1". Here's a quote: "Microsoft is warning of a brand new exploit that can cause computers running Windows XP and using the Internet Explorer web browser to become infected with malware at the push of a button: Specifically, the F1 button."

Every so often someone sends me an e-mail warning of some terrible virus. I usually turns out to be a hoax or a myth, and I would pass on any such without checking it out through snopes.com or some other reputable source. But this looks like the genuine article (forgive the pun) so keep your finger off F1 until Bill sends the fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment