Thursday, January 7, 2010

The terrorist threat

Walt has been told to "get real". How can you write about funny TV commercials, a follower asks, when we are surrounded by Serious Threats to Our American Way of Life? OK, he didn't put it quite that way, with the caps and all, but that was the gist of it.

Walt says: Can we (Americans) purleeze stop overreacting? More important, would Canadians and other foreigners stop overreacting to the American overreaction? Security is tighter now at Canadian airports than it is at US airports!

If I really wanted to get an explosive onto a US airliner, I'd forget about trying to board the plane at Pearson or Trudeau. I'd drive across the border to, say, Buffalo, with the explosive in my gotchees (wonder if it's itchy) and get on the plane there.

All the restrictions, patdowns, and "naked picture scans" being put in place in Canada and Europe strike me as extreme overkill, like burning down a house to kill a mouse. The effects on air travel to the "land of the free" (what a laugh that is) are already hurting international business and the not-yet-recovered economy.

If I lived in the Netherlands or Canada, let alone Pakistan or Nigeria, I'd just stay home. Come to think of it, maybe that's been the plan all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment