Friday, November 6, 2009

Fort Hood massacre

I'm at a loss for words. I feel I should say something about this, but I don't know what to say. I don't know what it all means. Maybe nothing.

It's not even possible to write a satirical piece because the story virtually satirizes itself. The killer was a Muslim, a psychiatrist and a soldier -- easy set-up for any number of cheap jokes. Yet it's not funny.

Is the massacre a commentary on the American love of guns? On psychiatry, which I believe to be a bogus "science"? On the futility of the Afghan war? On Islam? None of these? All of these? Are there any lessons to be learned? Will any lessons be learned?

I have all these questions, but not one answer. Not even a further comment.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. Whiteman:

    "Is the massacre a commentary on the American love of guns? On psychiatry, which I believe to be a bogus 'science'? On the futility of the Afghan war? On Islam? None of these? All of these? Are there any lessons to be learned? Will any lessons be learned?"

    None of these. It was a perfectly planned conspiracy gone wrong. The part that went wrong was the shooter's suicide. Unfortunately for him he didn't die. He packed his belongings, perhaps tucked in some goodbye notes to his family, and walked into his target range, armed and prepared to meet his god. I am sure he was recruited years ago for this event. After all Fort Hood is the largest military base in the U.S. and now the whole world knows that and exactly where it is, and how lax the security is.

    Miss Cordelia Weatherbee

    ReplyDelete